~ REFERENCES ~
1. Siega-Riz AM, Herrmann TS, Savitz DA, Thorp JM. Frequency of eating during pregnancy and its effect on preterm delivery. Am. J. Epidemiol. 2001 Apr 1;53(7): 647-652
2. Institute of Food Technologists. (2012, June 29). Skipping breakfast can lead to unhealthy habits all day long. Science Daily. [Cited 1-Jul-12]. Available from www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120629143045.htm
3. Javaid MK, Crozier SR, Harvey NC, Gale CR, Dennison EM, Boucher BJ, et al. Maternal vitamin D status during pregnancy and childhood bone mass at age 9 years: a longitudinal study. Lancet. 2006 Jan 7;367(9504):36-43.
4. Hofmeyer GJ, Duley L, Atallah A. Dietary calcium supplementation for prevention of hypertension related problems: a systematic review and commentary. BJOG. 2007 Aug;114(8): 933-43.
5. Imdad A, Jabeen A, Bhutta ZA. Role of calcium supplementation during pregnancy in reducing risk of developing gestational hypertensive disorders: a meta-analysis of studies from developing countries. BMC Public Health. 2011 Apr 13;11 Suppl 3:S18. Review.
6. Bodnar LM, Catov JM, Simhan HN, Holick MF, Powers RW, Roberts JM. Maternal vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of preeclampsia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92(9):3517–3522.
7. Sørensen IM, Joner G, Jenum PA, Eskild A, Torjesen PA, Stene LC. Maternal serum levels of 25-hydroxy-vitamin D during pregnancy and risk of type 1 diabetes in the offspring. Diabetes. 2012 Jan;61(1):175-8.
8. Whitehouse AJ, Holt BJ, Serralha M, Holt PG, Kusel MM, Hart PH. Maternal Serum Vitamin D Levels During Pregnancy and Offspring Neurocognitive Development. Pediatrics. 2012 Mar;129(3):485-93.
9. Belderbos ME, Houben ML, Wilbrink B, Lentjes E, Bloemen EM, Kimpen JL, et al. Cord blood vitamin D deficiency is associated with respiratory syncytial virus bronchiolitis. Pediatrics. 2011 Jun;127(6):e1513-20.
10. Bodnar LM, Simhan HN, Powers RW, Frank MP, Cooperstein E, Roberts JM. High prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in black and white pregnant women residing in the northern United States and their neonates. J Nutr. 2007 Feb;137(2):447-52.
11. Harvey NC, Javaid K, Bishop N, Kennedy S, Papageorghiou AT, Fraser R, Gandhi SV, Schoenmakers I, Prentice A, Cooper C. MAVIDOS Maternal Vitamin D Osteoporosis Study: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2012 Feb 7;13(1):13.
12. Holick MF, Binkley NC, Bischoff-Ferrari HA, Gordon CM, Hanley DA, Heaney RP, Murad MH, Weaver CM; Endocrine Society. Evaluation, treatment, and prevention of vitamin D deficiency: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. July 2011;96(7):1911–1930.
13. Food and Nutrition Board, Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes: Calcium and Vitamin D. Washington DC: The National Academies Press; 2011.
14. Vitamin D and calcium; updated Dietary Reference Intakes. Health Canada. December 2010. [Cited 25-Feb-12]. Available from: www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/vitamin/vita-d-eng.php
15. Vitamin D supplementation: Recommendations for Canadian mothers and infants First Nations, Inuit and Métis Health Committee, Canadian Paediatric Society (CPS) Paediatr Child Health. 2007;12(7):583-9. Reaffirmed March 2012. [Cited 17-Nov-12] Available from: www.cps.ca/english/statements/ii/fnim07-01.htm#RECOMMENDATIONS
16. Vidailhet M, Mallet E, Bocquet A, Bresson JL, Briend A, Chouraqui JP, et al. Comité de nutrition de la Société française de pédiatrie. Vitamin D: Still a topical matter in children and adolescents. A position paper by the Committee on Nutrition of the French Society of Paediatrics. Arch Pediatr. 2012 Mar;19(3):316-28.
17. Li W, Green TJ, Innis SM, Barr SI, Whiting SJ, Shand A, et al. Suboptimal vitamin D levels in pregnant women despite supplement use. Can J Public Health. 2011 Jul-Aug;102(4):308-12.
18. Vitamin D Council. UVB exposure: sunlight and indoor tanning. September 2011. [Cited 17-Nov-12]. Available from: www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/how-to-get-your-vitamin-d/uvb-exposure-sunlight-and-indoor-tanning/
19. Edvardsen K, Brustad M, Engelsen O, Aksnes L The solar UV radiation level needed for cutaneous production of vitamin D3 in the face. A study conducted among subjects living at a high latitude (68 degrees N). Photochemical and Photobiological Sciences. 2007 Jan;6(1):57-62.
20. British Paediatric Respiratory Society British Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition. A survey of healthcare professionals’ awareness of vitamin D supplementation in pregnancy, infancy and childhood- midwives, gps and health visitors have their say. Arch Dis Child. 2011;96:A16-A18 doi:10.1136/adc.2011.212563.32
21. Scholl TO. Iron status during pregnancy: setting the stage for mother and infant. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2005 May;81(5):1218S-1222S.
22. Jonnalagadda SS, Harnack L, Liu RH, McKeown N, Seal C, Liu S, et al. Putting the whole grain puzzle together: health benefits associated with whole grains--summary of American Society for Nutrition 2010 Satellite Symposium. J Nutr. 2011 May;141(5):1011S-22S.
23. Qiu C, Coughlin KB, Frederick IO, Sorensen TK, Williams MA. Dietary fiber intake in early pregnancy and risk of subsequent preeclampsia. Am J Hypertens. 2008 Aug;21(8):903-9.
24. Livesey G, Taylor R, Hulshof T, Howlett J. Glycemic response and health--a systematic review and meta-analysis: relations between dietary glycemic properties and health outcomes. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jan;87(1):258S-268S.
25. Burani, J. Gushers and Tricklers: Practical Use of the Glycemic Index. Presentation at the American Diabetes Association Southern Regional Conference. Marco Island, Florida. May 2006.
26. Moshfegh AJ, Friday AJ, Goldman JP, Chug Ahuja JK. Presence of Inulin and Oligofructose in the Diets of Americans. J. Nutr. 1999 Jul;129(7 Suppl):1407S-11S. [Cited 13-Aug-12]. Available from: jn.nutrition.org/content/129/7/1407S.full
27. Sajilata MG, Rekha SS, Kulkarni PR. Resistant Starch—A Review. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2006;(5)1:1-17. Available from: onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1541-4337.2006.tb00076.x/pdf
28. Team Nord. Safety evaluation of fructans. Copenhagen: Nordic Council of Ministers. 2000.
30. Jackson BP, Taylor VF, Karagas MR, Punshon T, Cottingham KL 2012. Arsenic, organic foods, and brown rice syrup. Environ Health Perspect. 2012 May;120(5):623-6. [Cited 23-Feb-12]. Available from: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3346791/
31. Johnson RK, Appel LJ, Brands M, Howard BV, Lefevre M, Lustig RH, Sacks F, Steffen LM, Wylie-Rosett J; American Heart Association Nutrition Committee of the Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism and the Council on Epidemiology and Prevention. Dietary sugars intake and cardiovascular health: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2009 Sep 15;120(11):1011-20. [Cited 17-Nov-12]. Available from: circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.long
32. Koletzko B, Cetin I, Brenna JT; Perinatal Lipid Intake Working Group; Child Health Foundation; Diabetic Pregnancy Study Group; European Association of Perinatal Medicine; European Association of Perinatal Medicine; European Society for Clinical Nutrition and Metabolism; European Society for Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, Committee on Nutrition; International Federation of Placenta Associations; International Society for the Study of Fatty Acids and Lipids. Dietary fat intakes for pregnant and lactating women. Br J Nutr. 2007 Nov;98(5):873-7.
33. Micha R, Mozaffarian D. Saturated fat and cardiometabolic risk factors, coronary heart disease, stroke, and diabetes: a fresh look at the evidence. Lipids. 2010 Oct;45(10):893-905.
34. Assunção ML, Ferreira HS, dos Santos AF, Cabral CR Jr, Florêncio TM. Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity. Lipids. 2009 Jul; 44(7):593-601.
35. St-Onge MP, Bosarge A. Weight-loss diet that includes consumption of medium-chain triacylglycerol oil leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss than does olive oil. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Mar;87(3):621-6.
36. American Heart Association. Know your fats. Updated 2-8-12. [Cited 28-Feb-12]. Available from: www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp
37. Javaid MK et al. Maternal vitamin D status during pregnancy and childhood bone mass at age 9 years: a longitudinal study. Lancet. 2006 Jan 7;367(9504):36-43.
39. Hypponen E, Laara E, Reunanen A, Jarvelin M-R, Virtanen SM. Intake of vitamin D and risk of type 1 diabetes: a birthcohort study. Lancet 2001;358:1500-3.
40. Risks and Benefits of Sun Exposure Position Statement. Approved by The Australian and New Zealand Bone and Mineral Society, Osteoporosis Australia, Australaian College of Dermatologists and the Cancer Council Australia. May 2007. [Cited 1-Dec-12]Available from: www.cancer.org.au/cancer-control-policy/position-statements/sun-smart/#jump_3
41. Holick MF. Vitamin D Deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine. 2007;357: 266-81
42. Holick MF. Vitamin D Deficiency. New England Journal of Medicine. 2007;357: 266-81
43. Haahtela T, Valovirta E, Kauppi P, Tommila E, Saarinen K, von Hertzen L,Mäkelä MJ. Th e Finnish Allergy Programme 2008-2018 - scientifi c rationale and practical implementation. Asia Pac Allergy. 2012 October; 2(4): 275–279
44. Eur Respir J. 2010 Jun;35(6):1228-34. Kramer MS. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2000; CD000133. Maternal antigen avoidance during pregnancy for preventing atopic disease in infants of women at high risk.
45. Salvatore S, Keymolen K, Hauser B, Vandenplas Y. Intervention during pregnancy and allergic disease in the off spring. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2005; 16:558-66.
46. Greer FR, Sicherer SH, Burks AW; American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Nutrition; American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Allergy and Immunology. Effects of early nutritional interventions on the development of atopic disease in infants and children: the role of maternal dietary restriction, breastfeeding, timing of introduction of complementary foods, and hydrolyzed formulas. Pediatrics. 2008 Jan;121(1):183-91. doi: 10.1542/peds.2007-3022.
47. American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. Prevention of Allergies and Asthma in Children: Tips to Remember. [Cited 27-Jan-13]. Available from: www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/library/at-a-glance/prevention-of-allergies-and-asthma-in-children.aspx
48. Prescott SL,Tang M ASCIA Position Statement: Summary of Allergy Prevention in Children, as published in the Medical Journal of Australia 2005; 182 (9): 464-467. March 2010. [Cited 27-Jan-13] Available from: www.allergy.org.au/health-professionals/papers/allergy-prevention-in-children
49. Høst A, Halken S, Muraro A, Dreborg S, Niggemann B, Aalberse R, Arshad SH, von Berg A, Carlsen KH, Duschén K, Eigenmann PA, Hill D, Jones C, Mellon M, Oldeus G, Oranje A, Pascual C, Prescott S, Sampson H, Svartengren M, Wahn U, Warner JA, Warner JO, Vandenplas Y, Wickman M, Zeiger RS. Dietary prevention of allergic diseases in infants and small children. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2008 Feb;19(1):1-4.
50. Maslova E, Granström C, Hansen S, Petersen SB, Strøm M, Willett WC, Olsen SF. Peanut and tree nut consumption during pregnancy and allergic disease in children-should mothers decrease their intake? Longitudinal evidence from the Danish National Birth Cohort.
51. Willers SM, Wijga AH, Brunekreef B, Kerkhof M, Gerritsen J, Hoekstra MO, de Jongste JC, Smit HA. Eur Respir J. Maternal food consumption during pregnancy and the longitudinal development of childhood asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Jul 15;178(2):124-31.
52. Dotterud CK, Storrø O, Johnsen R, Oien T. Probiotics in pregnant women to prevent allergic disease: a randomized, double-blind trial. Br J Dermatol. 2010 Sep;163(3):616-23.
53. Wickens K, Black PN, Stanley TV, Mitchell E, Fitzharris P, Tannock GW,Purdie G, Crane J; Probiotic Study Group. J Allergy Clin Immunol. A diff erential effect of 2 probiotics in the prevention of eczema and atopy: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. 2008 Oct;122(4):788-94.
54. Torres-Borrego J, Moreno-Solís G, Molina-Terán AB. Diet for the prevention of asthma and allergies in early childhood: much ado about something? Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2012 Jul-Aug;40(4):244-52.
55. Erkkola M, Nwaru BI, Kaila M, Kronberg-Kippilä C, Ilonen J, Simell O, Veijola R, Knip M, Virtanen SM. Risk of asthma and allergic outcomes in the off spring in relation to maternal food consumption during pregnancy: a Finnish birth cohort study. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2012 Mar;23(2):186-94.
56. Torres-Borrego J, Moreno-Solís G, Molina-Terán AB. Diet for the prevention of asthma and allergies in early childhood: much ado about something? Allergol Immunopathol (Madr). 2012 Jul-Aug;40(4):244-52.
57. Lumia M, Luukkainen P, Tapanainen H, Kaila M, Erkkola M, Uusitalo L, Niinistö S, Kenward MG, Ilonen J, Simell O, Knip M, Veijola R, Virtanen SM. Dietary fatty acid composition during pregnancy and the risk of asthma in the off spring.Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2011 Dec;22(8):827-35.
58. Castro-Rodriguez JA, Garcia-Marcos L, Sanchez-Solis M, Pérez-Fernández V, Martinez-Torres A, Mallol J. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2010 Apr;45(4):395-402. Olive oil during pregnancy is associated with reduced wheezing during the fi rst year of life of the off spring.