~ REFERENCES ~
1. Society for Reproductive Medicine. Weight [Cited 13-Nov-11]. Available from: www.reproductivefacts.org/topics/detail.aspx?id=1763
2. Beyene J, Han Z, Liao G, Mulla S, McDonald SD; Knowledge Synthesis Group. Maternal underweight and the risk of preterm birth and low birth weight: a systematic review and meta-analyses. Int J Epidemiol. 2011 Feb;40(1):65-101.
3. Nohr EA, Vaeth M, Rasmussen S, Ramlau-Hansen CH, Olsen J. Waiting time to pregnancy according to maternal birthweight and prepregnancy BMI. Hum Reprod. 2009 Jan;24(1):226-32.
4. Position of the American Dietetic Association and American Society for Nutrition. Obesity, reproduction and pregnancy outcomes. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109:918-927.
5. Position of the American Dietetic Association and American Society for Nutrition. Obesity, reproduction and pregnancy outcomes. J Am Diet Assoc. 2009;109:918-927.
6. Clark AM, Ledger W, Galletly C, Tomlinson L, Blaney F, Wang X, et al. Weight loss results in significant improvement in pregnancy and ovulation rates in anovulatory obese women. Hum Reprod. 1995 Oct;10(10):2705-12.
7. Ramlau-Hansen CH, Thulstrup AM, Nohr EA, Bonde JP, Sørensen TI, Olsen J. Subfecundity in overweight and obese couples. Hum Reprod. 2007 Jun;22(6):1634-7.
8. Chavarro JE, Toth TL, Wright DL, Meeker JD, Hauser R. Body mass index in relation to semen quality, sperm DNA integrity, and serum reproductive hormone levels among men attending an infertility clinic. Fertil Steril. 2010 May 1;93 (7):2222-31.
9. Kay VJ, Barratt CLR. Male obesity: impact on fertility. British Journal of Diabetes & Vascular Disease 2009 Sept/Oct;9(5): 237-241.
10. Grassi A. The Dietitian’s Guide to Polycistic Ovary Syndrome. Luca Publishing. Haverford PA. 2007.
11. Brand-Miller J, Colagiui, S, Foster-Powell K, and Wolever, TM. The New Glucose Revolution, 3rd edition, Marlowe & Company. New York. 2007. p. 121.
12. Agrassi A. Obstructive sleep apnea and PCOS. [Cited 29-Jan-12]. Available from: www.pcosnutrition.com/links/blogs/obstructive-sleep-apnea-and-pcos.html.
13. Farrell K, Antoni M. Insulin resistance, obesity, inflammation and depression in polycystic ovary syndrome: biobehavioral mechanisms and interventions. Fertil Steril. 2010 October;94(5): 1565–1574.
14. Chavarro JE, Rich-Edwards JW, Rosner BA, Willett WC. Caffeinated and alcoholic beverage intake in relation to ovulatory disorder infertility. Epidemiology. 2009 May;20(3):374-81.
15. Hackney AC. Effects of endurance exercise on the reproductive system of men: the "exercise-hypogonadal male condition". J Endocrinol Invest. 2008 Oct;31(10):932-8.
16. Melo MA, Soares SR. Cigarette smoking and reproductive function. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Jun;20(3):281-91.
18. Marchetti F, Rowan-Carroll A, Williams A, Polyzos A, Berndt-Weis M, Yauk C. Side stream tobacco smoke is a male germ cell mutagen. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Available from: www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1106896108
19. Elizabeth H. Ruder, Terryl J. Hartman, Jeffrey Blumberg, Marlene B. Goldman. Hum Reprod Update. 2008 Jul-Aug;14(4):345-57.
20. Fasano A, Berti I, Gerarduzzi T, Not T, Colletti RB, Drago S, et al. Prevalence of celiac disease in at-risk and not-at-risk groups in the United States: a large multicenter study. Arch Intern Med. 2003 Feb 10;163(3):286-92.
21. Green PHR, Stavropoulos SN, Panagi SG, Goldstein SL, Mcmahon DJ, Absan H, et al.Characteristics of adult celiac disease in the USA: results of a national survey. Am J Gastroenterol. 2001 Jan;96(1):126-31.
22. “Celiac Disease.” National Digestive Diseases Information Claring House. [Cited 3-Dec-11] Available from: digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac/#what
23. Ladenson PW, Singer PA, Ain KB, Bagchi N, Bigos ST, Levy EG, et al. American Thyroid Association guidelines for detection of thyroid dysfunction. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Jun 12;160(11):1573-5.
24. Jana SK, K NB, Chattopadhyay R, Chakravarty B, Chaudhury K.Upper control limit of reactive oxygen species in follicular fluid beyond which viable embryo formation is not favorable. Reprod Toxicol. 2010 Jul;29(4):447-51.
25. Agarwal A, Gupta S and Sharma RK. Role of oxidative stress in female reproduction. Reproductive biology and endocrinology. 2005 July14;(3):28.
26. Galan P, Viteri FE, Bertrais S, Czernichow S, Faure H, Arnaud J, et al. Serum concentrations of beta-carotene, vitamin C and E, zinc, and selenium are influenced by age, diet smoking status, alcohol consumption and corpulence in a general French adult population. Eur J Clin Nutr 2005 Oct;59(10): 1181-1190.
27. Ebisch IM, Thomas CM, Peters WH, Braat DD, Steegers-Theunissen RP. The importance of folate, zinc and antioxidants in the pathogenesis and prevention of sub fertility. Human Reproductive Update 2007 Mar-April;13(2):163-174. Review.
28. Gharagozloo P, Aitken RJ. The role of sperm oxidative stress in male infertility and the significance of oral antioxidant therapy. Hum Reprod. 2011 Jul;26(7):1628-40.
29. Schmid TE, Eskenazi B, Marchetti F, Young S, Weldon RH, Baumgartner A, Anderson D, Wyrobek AJ. Fertil Steril. Micronutrients intake is associated with improved sperm DNA quality in older men. 2012 Nov;98(5):1130-1137.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2012.07.1126. Epub 2012 Aug 27.
30. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. 2010. Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) of Selected Foods, Release 2. Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page. [Cited 2-3-12]. Available from: www.ars.usda.gov/nutrientdata/orac
31. Kubota C, McCune LM, Stendell-Hollis NR, Thomson CA. Cherries and health: a review. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2011 Jan;51(1):1-12.
32. Balabanič D, Rupnik M, Klemenčič AK. Negative impact of endocrine-disrupting compounds on human reproductive health. Reprod Fertil Dev. 2011;23(3):403-16.
33. Said TM, Ranga G, Agarwal A. Relationship between semen quality and tobacco chewing in men undergoing infertility evaluation. Fertil Steril 2005 Sep;84(3):649-53.
34. Deepinder F, Makker K, Agarwal A. Cell phones and male infertility: dissecting the relationship. Reprod Biomed Online. 2007 Sep;15(3):266-70.
35. De Iuliis GN, Newey RJ, King BV, Aitken RJ. Mobile phone radiation induces reactive oxygen species production and DNA damage in human spermatozoa in vitro. PLoS One. 2009 Jul 31;4(7):e6446.
37. Du Plessis SS, Cabler S, McAlister DA, Sabanegh E, Agarwal A. The effect of obesity on sperm disorders and male infertility. Nat Rev Urol. 2010 Mar;7(3):153-61.
38. Anway MD, Leathers C, Skinner MK. Endocrine disruptor vinclozolin induced epigenetic transgenerational adult-onset disease. Endocrinology 2006 Dec;147(12): 5515-5523.
39. Pauli EM, Legro RS, Demers LM, Kunselman AR, Dodson WC, Lee PA. Diminished paternity and gonadal function with increasing obesity in men. Fertil Steril. 2008 Aug;90(2):346-51.
40. Eskenazi B, Kidd SA, Marks AR, Sloter E, Block G, Wyrobek AJ. Antioxidant intake is associated with semen quality in healthy men. Hum Reprod. 2005 Apr;20(4):1006-12.
41. Chavarro JE, Rich-Edwards JW, Rosner BA, Willett WC. Dietary fatty acid intakes and the risk of ovulatory infertility. Am J Clin Nutr. 2007 Jan;85(1):231-7.
42. Attaman JA, Toth TL, Furtado J, Campos H, Hauser R, Chavarro JE. Dietary fat and semen quality among men attending a fertility clinic. Hum Reprod. 2012 May;27(5):1466-74.
43. Tavilani H, Doosti M, Nourmohammadi I, Mahjub H, Vaisiraygani A, Salimi S, et al. Lipid composition of spermatoazoa in normozoospermic and athenozoospermic males. Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids. 2007 July;77(1): 45-50.
44. Chavarro JE, Furtado J, Toth TL, Ford J, Keller M, Campos H, et al. Trans-fatty acid levels in sperm are associated with sperm concentration among men from an infertility clinic. Fertil Steril. 2011 Apr;95(5):1794-7.
45. Chavarro JE, Rich-Edwards JW, Rosner BA, Willett WC. A prospective study of dietary carbohydrate quantity and quality in relation to risk of ovulatory infertility. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2009 Jan;63(1):78-86.
46. Katcher HI, Legro RS, Kunselman AR, Gillies PJ, Demers LM, Bagshaw DM, et al. The effects of a whole grain enriched hypocaloric diet on cardiovascular disease risks in men and women with metabolic syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008;87(1)79-90.
47. Crozier SJ, Preston AG, Hurst JW, Payne MJ, Mann J, Hainly L, et al. Cacao seeds are a "Super Fruit": A comparative analysis of various fruit powders and products. Chem Cent J. 2011 Feb 7;5:5.
48. American Chemical Society (2009, November 11). New evidence that dark chocolate helps ease emotional stress. Science Daily. [Cited 4-Feb-12]. Available from: www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/11/091111123612.htm
49. Robbins WA, Xun L, Fitzgerald LZ, Esguerra S, Henning SM, Carpenter CL. Walnuts improve semen quality in men consuming a Western-style diet: randomized control dietary intervention trial. Biol Reprod. 2012 Oct 25;87(4):101. doi: 10.1095/biolreprod.112.101634.